November 4, 2018

US slips in list of world's best places to do business

Under the Trump Administration with its pulling out of trade deals, boosting tariffs, and all around unpredictability, the US has fallen two places to eighth position in the World Bank's 2018 ranking of the world's best places to do business. New Zealand, Singapore and Denmark have retained the top three positions for the third consecutive year in the Doing Business Index.

Writing for The Wall Street Journal, Josh Zumbrun reports: "The World Bank’s rankings, which calculate the ease of opening and operating businesses, complying with taxes, and other aspects of an economy’s regulatory environment, are closely watched by businesses and policy makers around the world, with countries frequently orienting their domestic reforms around attempts to rise in the rankings."
“Sound and efficient business regulation is critical for entrepreneurship and a thriving private sector,” said Jim Yong Kim, the president of the World Bank Group.

The World Bank recently launched the Human Capital Index, which ranks countries on a number of health and education dimensions.  "While the U.S. scores eighth on the Doing Business Index, it ranked 24th in the inaugural Human Capital rankings, surpassed by much of Europe and a handful of East Asian nations, where child mortality is lower, fewer children are underdeveloped, and where students stay in school longer and test better.

We can and need to do better!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog today and I like like it. I, too, am striving towards women financial independence. My focus is more income. Have a good day.
    SGX Stock Tips

    ReplyDelete

  3. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge and providing me with a much-needed insight into the world of finance.
    home loan insurance

    ReplyDelete
  4. The great blog about Education loan for women.Thanks for sharing the blog, seems to be interesting and informative too.Could you help me to find more detail about Education loan for women

    ReplyDelete

Financial Planning for Women does not sell, rent, loan, lease or otherwise provide any personal information collected at our site to any third parties.